LMS Spotlight: Litmos September 10, 2010Posted by Eric Matas in eLearning, LMS Spotlight.
Tags: Litmos, LMS, MobileLearning, Nicole Fougere, SCORM
The face of the LMS is quickly changing. Five years ago, I could name only a half-dozen LMS options. Today I find new ones every week, and I estimate that there are more than 200 viable LMS choices.
I just completed an investigation of 35 LMS solutions, and found many cool companies and versatile tools. What I saw, and what I liked to see, was that many new LMS companies are trimming the fat off the traditional LMS behemoth. The newer LMS software offers only the options people actually use. And many offer complete hosting, which means you can make a decision without the interference/blessing of your IT department.
One of my favorite options is Litmos. The founders of Litmos created a tag line: “Love your LMS.” I thought: Yeah, right–an LMS is for bitter hatred. But not so with Litmos. This LMS is so stripped down that it might seem too limited by some users. But I think it’s tight focus is a challenge to elearning professional to assess what they really need from an LMS–and how much they want their LMS to get in the way.
Litmos is so light and agile that I was able to set up a demo site, add a few learners, add a couple of SCORM courses, and send a few email notifications all in less than 30 minutes. Minutes later, I was accessing the LMS on my smart phone. The Litmos experience is amazing–so different from the LMS nightmares I was used to with the larger LMS beasts out there.
Next, I was following Litmos on Twitter to learn more. Litmos posts updates on Twitter and on their blog, written by the “happy blogger” and General Manager, Nicole Fougere. I reached out to Nicole, and she provided me this nice summary of the strengths and features of Litmos:
- Our mission is to build the most easy-to-use LMS in the world and have fun along the way
- Litmos is Software as a Service (SaaS)
- On-demand system delivered over the web
- Instant access to trial, no downloads required etc.
- Regular product and feature upgrades rolling out
- Bare-bones LMS – development started with just the features you absolutely need to be successful
- Easy navigation and intuitive design
- Outstanding customer service
- Young, small and agile team – rapidly growing company
- SCORM 1.2 Certified by ADL
- Custom themes and branding
- People management tools: bulk import, groups/teams etc.
- Drill-down and more selective custom reporting
- Monthly billing based on active usage – only pay for those people who use your system each month
- eCommerce – currently PayPal supported with a view to adding more payment providers shortly
- API access – integrate the LMS with other systems
- NEW: Basic mobile support for iPad, iPhone and Android – videos look great!
I recommend test driving Litmos. It has inspired many ideas for me. Check out this You Tube video: